From Mary Sumner, SIM Academic Liaison
Here are some SIM Academic Updates which demonstrate the dialogue between IT and SIM industry leaders and academic leaders who contribute research that impacts practice.
- SIM is highlighting several key MISQE (MIS Quarterly Executive) articles to the SIM IT Leadership Community in communications to our SIM IT leadership community. These MISQE updates are being shared with social media sites, including Linked In. This is one way in which academic researchers are addressing “real-world” issues and providing thought leadership to practice.
- The Pre-ICIS MISQE and SIM Academic Workshop will highlight research in Machine Learning. The Workshop will be held in Munich, Germany in conjunction with the International Conference on Information Systems on December 10, 2019.
- The SIM Chapter in Dallas-Ft. Worth recently organized a SMU – SIM Debate: Ethical Issues in Big Data and Artificial Intelligence, on Friday, October 25, 2019 at the Southern Methodist University Campus. The session highlighted SIM Chapter members and SMU Students.
- The SIM Academic Council, consisting of 35 academic leaders representing over ten SIM Chapters, will plan and organize additional dialogues between academic leaders and SIM industry leaders in each Chapter.
- The SIM Paper Competition will feature leading research from research teams consisting of academic researchers and industry practitioners to fuel the pipeline of research which impacts practice.
- The SIM Academic Council is working with the leadership of the Association of Information Systems (AIS) to collaborate on their InPractice initiative which will reinforce the importance of generating research that impacts practice.