|Click the banner to learn more about the APC|
Society for Information Management
1500 Commerce Parkway
Mount Laurel, NJ 08054
Toll Free: 800.387.9746
Questions or Comments?
- Leadership Spotlight: San Diego Chapter
- Nominate SIM's 2014 Leader of the Year!
- SIMposium: No man is an island
- RLF: 10 Summer Must Reads for Leaders
- SIM Chapters: Interactive Map
- Suggested Reading List
|Leadership Spotlight: San Diego Chapter President, Yasmin Shah|
1. Please provide an overview of the SIM San Diego chapter.
The San Diego Chapter has been in existence since 2011. We currently have about 70+ members. Every year since then we have been holding 2-3 chapter events, full day CIO Summit and a member only holiday party with spouses. read more...
2. What are your goals for your term as the President of the SIM San Diego chapter?
I am Co-Founder and president of the board. The other co-Founder and membership chair is Barb Munro. We worked very hard to form the chapter and generate interest for SIM in the CIO community. Our focus was to build a strong board, and we knew membership would follow. read more...
3. What are the hottest trends in the IT industry?
The focus of our meetings have been around hottest trends in the industry that pivot around growing the business, attracting and retaining talent, keeping the enterprise secure and being efficient with the new technologies in the IT industry. read more...
4. What challenges is your chapter currently facing?
The challenge we face today especially in San Diego is that the high tech, bio tech market is very volatile and ripe for acquisition. read more...
5. What is the one piece of advice you will give the next President of the SIM San Diego Chapter?
We have worked very hard to build a membership that is predominantly CIOs or heads of IT department. We have consciously limited vendors and 2nd layer of management for smaller companies. read more... Read the entire article HERE.
|Nominate SIM's 2014 Leader of the Year!|
SIM is a national organization, but our strength lies at the local level. Each year, we recognize six volunteers onstage at SIMposium with our annual Leader of the Year Award.
Our innovative chapters constantly find new ways to grow, engage, and challenge their membership. By developing engaging programs, driving successful fundraising events or directing outreach initiatives, your dedicated chapter leaders lead the charge in making SIM the most respected organization for IT leaders.Before August 15th, nominate a local member who best embodies the innovation, dedication and commitment that we pride ourselves on as an organization.
Read more and submit your nomination at Leader of the Year Nominations.
|SIMposium2014: No man is an island|
Our society is a competitive one; whether by nature or design is open for debate. Competition is healthy for a capitalistic landscape, it encourages the development of new products and services, and it helps drive down the costs for consumers.But none of us can thrive in this environment alone.We need each other!
SIM is a unique organization with several examples illustrating the power of collective thought and collaboration:
- Advanced Practices Council (APC)members understand that the wait-and-see approach doesn't work anymore. They commission their own research because they need answers NOW.
- Regional Leadership Forum (RLF)participants, and the companies who sponsor them, understand that some people are 'born' leaders - but most leaders learn and develop those skills over time.
- IT Procurement Working Group (ITPWG)members understand that navigating the IT purchasing landscape is tough. They cannot negotiate the best terms for their organizations without help from others.
- SIM Womenmembers have been benefiting from communication, mentorship, leadership and career development amongst the female members of SIM since 2006.
- Enterprise Architecture Working Group (SIMEAWG)participants understand that it is through the sharing of processes, methods, tools, concepts, and best practices that they are able to address the challenges and opportunities in their CIOs' organizations.
Join us in Denver for SIMposium 2014 where we make networking easier. You already have something in common with many of the attendees - you are a member of SIM.
|RLF: 10 Summer Must Reads for Leaders|
Summer is in full swing, and if you're looking for a good book to read, the Society for Information Management Regional Leadership Forum 2015 Book List is a great place to start. Participants in the leadership forum will read all 25 books on the list, but Cliff Higbee, facilitator for Midwest forum, narrowed the list down to 10 he recommends every leader should read this year. Check out the list on information-management.com's web site.
Registration for the 2015 program will open on July 15th.Click HERE for more information.
|45 Years of SIM Chapter Accomplishments|
|In honor of SIM's 45th Anniversary, we've been speaking with SIM members to understand what makes their chapter a unique piece of the SIM puzzle. Along the way, we've learned about much of the great work being done at SIM's local chapters. We've taken your answers and created an interactive map that highlights the amazing accomplishments that SIM has had over the past few years.|
You can view the graphic by clicking the image below:
Don't see your chapter listed? You can send your chapter highlight to MLenz@simnet.org for inclusion in this graphic.
|This May Be Right For You|
If you are a senior IT executive, consider coming as a guest to the upcoming Advanced Practices Council (APC) meeting October 1-2 in Philadelphia. Madeline Weiss, APC's Director, invites you to engage with APC's members and researchers to learn:
- The latest practices in gaining business value from business analytics
- How to profit from digital data streams
- How to leverage the human cloud
- What legal pitfalls you must avoid.
|There are currently 15 books authored by SIM members on our Suggested Reading List. Help us add to the list by letting us know if you have authored a book.If you authored a book and would like to share it with your fellow SIM members, please complete the online form HERE.|