The research in this report discusses the important role metrics play in the IT value conversation with senior business leaders including focusing decisions, improving relationships and helping executives identify new sources of value from IT. Based on interviews with 23 CIOs and other IT leaders, the report identifies five practices that successful CIOs follow to gradually steer the IT/business conversation toward higher levels of strategic impact, including:
• Focusing on metrics that matter
• Discussing IT metrics in business terms
• Influencing others to take ownership of metrics and improvements
• Move to more value added segments of the portfolio
• Using metrics to complement relationships.
The metrics in the report vary in scope from those that focus on internal IT operations and projects to those that capture the contributions of IT to business performance and innovation. The report concludes with examples of how CIOs could apply different types of focus in their firms.